I also enjoy Wild Hunt a lot, but its glitches can be such a downer. And today, we are going to talk about the infamous Witcher 3 matches count error.
It usually appears when you have a mod installed on your gaming system, or the game files have some issues. Alternatively, it could be due to outdated hardware or drivers installed on your PC. Keeping this in mind, I have handcrafted an easy-to-follow troubleshooting guide for you. Let’s begin!
Table of Contents
- 3 Possible Causes for Getting Witcher 3 Matches Count Error
- How to Fix Witcher 3 Matches Count Error With 4 Easy Ways
- Frequently Asked Questions
3 Possible Causes for Getting Witcher 3 Matches Count Error
The 3 possible causes for getting Witcher 3 Matches Count error include incompatible mods, missing/corrupt game files from your PC, or you may face this error on your gaming console due to outdated hardware.
To figure out the actual cause, let’s look at each reason in more detail here:
1. Broken Mods Installed
Since the console command mods are usually not updated along with the latest version of the game, it is common for them to get broken. In such cases, the issue is only resolved if the developers update the mod.
2. Faulty or Missing Game File
Another potential reason could be the missing or corrupt game files. This may even cause the Witcher 3 game to display the matches count error before it can even launch on your gaming console. But renaming some DLL game files or simply confirming their integrity via the Steam app generally solves this issue.
3. Outdated Hardware
If your gaming hardware, such as the Xbox or a PlayStation, is too old, it may not be able to keep up with the high-quality graphics and fast pacing of the new game version. Plus, this game often gets updates and releases patches that may consume more space. So, if that’s the case with you, this is what may be causing the Witcher 3 error.
How to Fix Witcher 3 Matches Count Error With 4 Easy Ways
To fix the Witcher 3 matches count error, you should resolve specific broken mods, rename the corrupt game files, or check the integrity of the files. But if none of these solutions works, you will have to re-install the Witcher 3 game as a last resort to start with a clean slate.
Here’s a more detailed look at Witcher 3 matches count fixes:
1. Fix the Broken Mod
Although the Witcher 3 uses many mods, the most common issues occur with the console command mod. As the mod gets broken every time, there is a new game version, the only solution is to uninstall the mod files from your gaming system. You can either:
- Navigate to the mod files in your gaming system to remove them.
- Or, use the add or remove option to uninstall them.
Then, download the latest updated version from a reliable source for the Wicher 3 game. Once done with the mod re-installation, launch the game again to check whether the error is resolved.
Remember, you’ll have to repeat the process each time the game’s mod gets an update. This will let you avoid such errors popping up on your console.
2. Rename the DLL Game File
Renaming the dsound.dll file is another fix that you can try. It often works for me, and many other gamers swear by it as well. So, follow these steps to rename the dsound.dll file for the Witcher 3 game:
- Open the Steam app and navigate to the Library.
- Right-click the Witcher 3 game and choose Properties.
- Click Local Files and then select the Browse option.
- Navigate to the Witcher 3 game folder named x64 inside the bin folder.
- Next, locate the dsound.dll file.
- Rename the file to something similar, such as dsound2.dll.
- Now restart the game and relaunch the Witcher 3 game.
The Matches Count error should be resolved after renaming the dsound.dll file. However, if the error persists, don’t worry, I have got plenty of other solutions for you.
3. Verify the Integrity of the Game Files
Missing or corrupted game files can also lead to the Matches Count error. To verify game files integrity, follow these simple steps:
- Launch the Steam Client app and click the Library.
- Next, right-click the Witcher 3 game file in the left panel and select Properties.
- On this window, click Local Files and select Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- The process will have started by now. Wait for it to finish.
- Launch the game again and check whether the errors have been resolved.
4. Reinstall the Game
If you have tried all the solutions mentioned above and the error persists, delete and reinstall the game. A fresh installation will get rid of the corrupted or missing game files which were causing this error.
- Type Add or Remove in the Windows search bar and click Open.
- Search the Witcher 3 game in the list. Then, select it and choose the Uninstall button.
- Head back to the Steam app and search for Witcher 3 to reinstall.
Follow the game installation instructions. Once you are done with the installation, the game will run on your system seamlessly. However, use this method as the last resort because reinstallation of the game will make you lose all the saved progress.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I clear my Witcher 3 cache on Xbox and PS?
To clear the cache of Witcher 3 on Xbox, do the following:
1. Press the Xbox button on the controller and scroll to Profile & System.
2. Select Settings.
3. Navigate to Devices & Connections > Blu-ray > Persistent Storage.
4. Select Clear Persistent Storage.
To clear the cache of Witcher 3 on PlayStation, do the following:
1. Power down the console and unplug the power cable to your PlayStation.
2. Wait for at least 2 minutes.
3. Plug the power cable back in and turn on the console.
Does the Witcher 3 game have glitches?
Although not as frequent, the Witcher 3 game does have its fair share of glitches. The most common glitches include missing heads, morphed expressions, stuck in the ground, etc. The developers are always working on solving these glitches to make the game even more fun for the players.
How many gameplay hours does Witcher 3 require?
The lowest gameplay time recorded for the Witcher 3 is 25 hours. And for the slowest players, it can stretch up to 200 hours. So, an average player lies somewhere in between these two extremes.
How can I fix Script Compilation errors in Witcher 3?
You can fix the Script Compilation errors in Witcher 3 by following these steps:
1. Install the official Unification patch from the NexusMods website.
2. Delete and reinstall the mods to erase the error.
3. Download the Script Merger for the Witcher 3 and check each installed mod to find out where the error lies.
4. Remove the corrupted mod and try to run the game again.
How to fix Witcher 3 Matches Count error on your PC?
To fix the Witcher 3 matches count error on your PC, you have to:
1. Resolve specific broken mods.
2. Rename the corrupt game files.
3. Check the integrity of the files via the Steam app.
4. If the above steps do not work, re-install the Witcher 3 game as a last resort to start with a clean slate.