Got a long flight but no source of entertainment? Streaming Netflix would be perfect at such a time. But wait, you’ve got no internet access on your Mac too? Well, I have a solution. Read this post and find out how to download Netflix on Macbook to watch offline movies in simple and easy ways.
Table of Contents
- Can You Download Movies From Netflix on Mac to Watch Offline?
- How To Download Movies From Netflix on Mac— 3 Easy Ways
- Remember That
- Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Download Movies From Netflix on Mac to Watch Offline?
Unfortunately, you can’t download movies from Netflix on a Mac. There is no official Netflix app for macOS yet, which makes downloading Netflix content on your Mac very challenging.
You might come across a few articles on the Internet that suggest you open the Netflix app on your iPhone or iPad, download the movie or show you want to watch offline, and then stream it on your Macbook using QuickTime Player or Airplay.
However, that method does not work, and you will keep getting an error message or a blank screen when you try to stream your Netflix app on your MacBook’s screen.
Luckily, there are a few workarounds that allow you to watch Netflix content offline on Mac. The easiest of them is to set up a Windows virtual machine on your MacBook using apps like Parallels Desktop or Boot Camp. Then, install the Netflix app for Windows on your virtual machine to use the download feature. Here’s how to do it—
How To Download Movies From Netflix on Mac— 3 Easy Ways
To download Netflix shows and movies on a Mac, you first need to install a virtual machine like Parallels desktop. Then install Windows 10/11 on it, Download the Netflix app, and enjoy streaming offline Netflix content on your Mac.
Basically, downloading Netflix movies and shows on your Mac is a 3 stage process that goes as follows: Installing a Virtual Machine on Your Mac > Downloading Windows on Your Virtual Machine > Installing the Netflix App on Your Windows Virtual Machine.
1. Installing a Virtual Machine on Your Mac
- Download the Parallels installer package from the official website.
- Launch the Parallels installer on your Mac and click Install Parallels Desktop.
- You might be prompted by a confirmation box asking for your permission to proceed with the installation, as the Parallels is downloaded from the Internet and not the App store. Here, click Open to continue with the installation.
- On the next pop-up, click OK to allow Parallels Desktop to access the files in your Downloads folder.
- Moving forward, you’ll be asked to accept the terms and conditions of using Parallels Desktop. Click Accept and proceed with the next steps.
- The installer will now download Parallels Desktop on your Mac.
- You will be asked to enter your Macbook’s login credentials to verify that you have permission to install or modify apps on your MacBook. After entering your credentials, click OK.
- The next step is to grant Parallels Desktop some important permissions. To do that, click Next.
- Now on the pop-up screen that appears, click OK to allow Parallels Desktop to access files in the Desktop, Documents, and Downloads folders.
- After you’ve successfully granted all the required permissions, click Finish to launch Parallels Desktop.
2. Downloading Windows on Your Virtual Machine
- Now, you can download the Windows 11 ISO image on your Mac by clicking the Install Windows button on the bottom right side of the screen.
- This process can take up to a few minutes, depending on your Internet speed.
- After the Windows 11 ISO is downloaded, Parallels Desktop will automatically install Windows for you. This process can take a few minutes as well.
- During the installation process, your virtual Windows machine will restart several times, just like it happens during a normal Windows installation.
- After a few minutes, Parallels Desktop will finish setting up Windows on your MacBook, and you will be booted to the Windows home screen.
3. Installing the Netflix App on Your Windows Virtual Machine
- Now open the Microsoft App Store.
- Search for Netflix and click the Get button to download and install it on your virtual machine.
- After the installation is complete, click Open to launch Netflix.
- Once Netflix is launched, click Sign in.
- Enter your credential to log into your account.
- Once you’re on the Netflix homepage, click on a movie or show title that you want to download. Then, on the info page of that movie or show, click the Download button to start downloading it.
- Once the download is complete, you will see a blue tick in place of the download button.
- Now click the blue tick, and from the pop-up menu that appears, click Play to start watching your favorite Netflix movie or show on your Mac without an Internet connection.
Downloading a Netflix movie or show on Mac is challenging but not impossible. Hopefully, by following this guide, you will be able to download Netflix content for offline viewing on your MacBook.
Just make sure you don’t fall into the “Netflix app for macOS” scam, as there is no official application released by Netflix that is compatible with macOS. Apps that claim to be the official Netflix property are most likely malicious software that can harm your MacBook or even steal your Netflix account by phishing attempts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I download movies from Netflix on Mac?
At the time of this writing, there is no easy way to legally download Netflix content on your Mac’s macOS operating system. However, there are two workarounds for this problem. The first workaround is to use a Virtual Machine to run Windows on your Mac to install the Netflix app on it. The second workaround is to download the Windows 11 ISO image and install it on your Mac as a secondary OS.
Is there an official Netflix app for macOS?
No, there is no official Netflix app for macOS. Apps that claim to be the official Netflix property are most likely malicious software that can harm your MacBook or even steal your Netflix account by phishing attempts. If you want to use Netflix on your Mac, we recommend using the workaround mentioned in this article.
What is Parallels Desktop?
Parallels Desktop is a virtual machine application that allows you to run Windows on your Mac. This means that you can use the Windows version of Netflix on your Mac without having to dual boot or install Windows separately.
What are some alternatives to Parallels Desktop?
If you’re not interested in using Parallels Desktop, there are a few other virtual machine applications that you can use to run Windows on your Mac. These include VMware Fusion and VirtualBox. Both of these applications have free versions that you can download and use.
Additionally, if you want to install Windows on your Mac as a secondary operating system, you can do so by downloading the Windows 11 ISO image and following the instructions in this article.
How to download Netflix on MacBook?
To download Netflix shows and movies on a MacBook, you have to:
1. Install a virtual machine (Parallels desktop) and Windows 10/11 on it.
2. Download the Netflix app on the virtual machine.
3. Log in to your Netflix account, download shows/movies for offline viewing, and switch to the virtual machine to watch them.