Don’t you hate it when you’re scrolling through the Facebook Marketplace and spot an excellent product, only to find that it’s in a faraway location and sometimes even in another country? Or when you’re trying to sell products to local customers but most of the orders you are receiving are from far away areas, to which you don’t even deliver?
Luckily, the solution to this problem is very simple. All you have to do is use the Facebook Marketplace Local Only filter on the Facebook Marketplace. Here’s how it works.
Table of Contents
- What is Facebook Marketplace Local Only?
- 3 Easy Ways to Enable Facebook Marketplace Local Only
- Why Change Facebook Marketplace to Local Only?
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is Facebook Marketplace Local Only?
Facebook Marketplace Local Only is a filter that helps you find items that you can pick up in person and save you from the hassle of shipping from far away locations. That is, this will only show items from the sellers that are available within a certain distance of your location.
Facebook Marketplace offers two ways for users to filter results. The first is the New Listing filter which shows items based on their upload date. The second is the Local Listing filter which shows items based on their location.
The Local Listing filter on Facebook Marketplace allows you to buy and sell items within your local area or city. As a buyer, you will see listings from businesses in your local area or city. And as a seller, the delivery option for your items is only available to local Facebook users. So basically, this feature makes Facebook Marketplace function as a local online market.
3 Easy Ways to Enable Facebook Marketplace Local Only
The 3 easy ways to make Facebook Marketplace Local Only is to select local listings from either categories, locations, or marketplace settings. However, the easiest one is to navigate to the Facebook Marketplace homepage > tap Location > choose your current location > adjust the distance radius > tap Done.
This way, you’ll only see the available items at your location. Let’s take a closer look at the steps for each method one by one here:
1. Select Local Listing from Categories
The Facebook Marketplace organizes items sold on Facebook into different categories, such as Vehicles, Properties, Furniture, Electronics, etc. By selecting a specific group or category in the categories section, you can filter the items displayed in the marketplace to only those that fall under that group or category. This allows you to easily find the items you are looking for.
To select Local listings from Categories on Facebook Marketplace, follow these steps:
- Tap the Marketplace icon on your home feed to open Facebook Marketplace.
- Now select Categories at the top right location of the screen.
- Tap on Local Listings and press the Location button on the top left of the screen to select your desired location.
- Here, you can do multiple things to change location, like:
- Add the area from where you wish to view the listings by searching for it in the search bar.
- Zoom in or out of the blue circle to adjust the area and radius you want to cover in the Local listing.
- Using the slider at the bottom of the screen, you can also set a custom radius ranging from 1 to 200 Kilometers.
- Once you have selected your location and radius, tap Apply to change location.
2. Change Facebook Marketplace to Local Only from Location Settings
You can also switch Facebook Marketplace to Local Only from the Location Settings. Here’s how to do it:
- After installing the app and entering your Facebook login info, tap on the Marketplace icon on the home feed.
- Now press the Profile icon on the top right of the screen.
- Tap the Location bar under your Facebook profile name.
- Adjust the radius and location, and then tap on Apply to save.
3. Set Facebook Marketplace Local Only from Marketplace Settings
You can also use Marketplace Settings on your Facebook app to make your Facebook Marketplace Local only. From Marketplace settings, follow the steps below:
- Open Facebook and tap the Marketplace icon on the home feed.
- Tap your Profile icon on the top right of the screen.
- Now in your profile menu, press the Settings icon on the top right corner of the screen.
- Select Manage Locations and press Apply to save changes after selecting the area and radius.
Why Change Facebook Marketplace to Local Only?
Changing Facebook Marketplace to Local Only can be beneficial as it saves on shipping costs and supports local businesses/sellers. Moreover, this is more secure and faster because you can inspect the item before paying and arrange for a local pickup at your convenience.
Let’s have a quick look at a few benefits of using Facebook Marketplace Local Only from the seller’s and buyer’s perspectives here:
- Lower delivery prices.
- Your products are less likely to get damaged due to transportation.
- Items get delivered quickly.
- You get more payment options.
- It’s easier to send the items back if they have an issue.
- Local selling on Facebook is free.
- You are better aware of the customer’s needs and the market.
- More convenient to deliver items.
- Lower chance of your payment getting delayed or stuck.
Besides that, Facebook Marketplace Local Only also makes the environment eco-friendly, as you’ll save the environment from the impact of transportation or shipping to your location.
So, overall, shopping or selling using Facebook Marketplace Local Only is cost-effective, secure, convenient, fast, and eco-friendly for both- sellers and buyers. That’s why you should also consider using this feature in the Facebook Marketplace.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Facebook Marketplace charge fees for local?
While other marketplaces charge the sellers even when they sell locally, that’s not the case with Facebook Marketplace. Local selling can be done on Facebook without any charges.
Should you give your address on Facebook Marketplace?
No, you should avoid giving your address on your Facebook business account as it would raise a security concern for you and your family. Instead, you should ask for the buyer’s phone number to provide them with the address.
What is the safest way to buy and sell on Facebook Marketplace?
Here are some tips for buying and selling safely on Facebook Marketplace:
1. Use a secure payment method: Avoid paying with cash or wiring money, and consider using a secure payment app or service instead.
2. Meet in a public place: Choose a public location for any in-person exchanges, and consider bringing a friend or family member with you for added safety.
3. Trust your instincts: If a deal seems too good to be true or if the seller is pressuring you to make a decision quickly, it’s probably best to walk away.
4. Protect your personal information: Don’t share your personal or financial information with the seller or buyer, and be wary of any requests for this information.
5. Keep your transactions on the platform: If the buyer or seller asks you to communicate outside of Facebook Marketplace, this could be a red flag. It’s best to keep all communication and transactions within the platform to ensure that you have a record of the conversation and can report any suspicious activity.
How do I change my settings to Facebook Marketplace Local Only?
To change your settings to Facebook Marketplace Local only, you need to:
1. Navigate to the Facebook Marketplace homepage.
2. Tap Location.
3. Choose your Current Location.
4. Adjust the distance Radius as desired.
5. Tap Done.
This will filter the listings to show only those items or businesses that are within a certain distance of your location. Additionally, you can also filter by local listings from categories, locations, or marketplace settings.